Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

[I am not subscribed to debian-bsd.]

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 02:49:39PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 07:03:25PM -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > [I am not subscribed to debian-bsd.]
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 08:21:30PM +0100, Roland Mas wrote:
> > >   I'll suggest Offler (or Om), Foorgol (I don't like Fate) and, um,
> > > some other god coming out of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels,
> > > preferably whose name starts with an N.
> > >
> > >   Or something like that.
> >
> > Mr. Pratchett's attorneys might take exception to that.
>
>   If that's a real concern, then Ogg Vorbis is in a lot of trouble. :)

Ah; I knew the "Ogg Vorbis" name came from contemporary fiction, but
I've never read Pratchett (my two most recent reads have been _Blinded
by the Right_ by David Brock and _Understanding Power_ by Noam Chomsky
-- not the sort of works that are useful for mining code names :) ).

Given that apparently unchallenged precedent, I'd agree it's unlikely
that Pratchett names are risky choices.

Still the nice thing about using old, old names like the ones I proposed
is that you can be almost positive no one has a leg to stand on in any
claim to "own" the name.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      A fundamentalist is someone who
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      hates sin more than he loves