Re: experimental codename

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 01:50:00AM +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:
>> since we are discussing codenames for the Debian/*BSD OSs, I noticed
>> that the "experimental" distribution doesn't have a codename yet, as
>> unstable has with "Sid".
>
> I think that's the way it should be. Experimental isn't a complete
> distribution in the sense that the others are, so it doesn't really
> deserve a codename.

Isn't it possible that `scud' (I like it too) or `experimental' to be a
complete distribution with exactly the same packages from unstable *but*
the experimental packages?

What I'm trying to explain is that I like the idea of an extra pool with
the buildd and bts but no automatic move to another pool. I think, DD
and people with chroot can point to this distribution to test things and
it could be a buffer for the new packages. You know, upload a package
and a library and have to wait because the library is not available and
so on... We put every new packages in `Scud' and when accepted, after
some test by others, we can safer move it to `Sid' with less delay.

I don't know if I'm clear, I don't know if I'm right... but I think a
(new) release organization is necessary... It's just a proposal ;)

Cheers,

--
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud