Re: How to depend on Japanese fonts?

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 02:14:05PM +1100, Ben Burton wrote:

> Hi.  I have a question in relation to #216440 (kiten requires Japanese
> fonts):
>
> Is there a simple or recommended way of making a package depend on
> Japanese fonts?
>
> The only solutions I can see are to either:
>
> 1) pick a couple of decent fonts and include them in the depends list;
> 2) pick a couple of decent fonts and include them in the recommends or
> suggests list;
> 3) make a list of all Japanese fonts (separated by | ).

4) Create a meta-package x-fonts-jp (or something like that) which
depends on jp-font-pkg-0 | jp-font-pkg-1 | ... .

5) Create a virtual package x-font-jp which is provided by each Japanese
font package.

Of course, the package names might be better if they were
x-font{,s}-jis, I don't know; I haven't read the bug.

> Option (1) seems bad because it forces a choice of font that the user
> might not want (bear in mind that Japanese font packages can be quite
> large).  Option (3) seems bad because it's ugly and difficult to keep
> up-to-date.  And of course option (2) seems bad because the hard
> dependency is lost.

(4) puts the onus on one package maintainer, and (5) puts the onus on
many maintainers to coordinate (which isn't necessarily a problem, since
it happens all the time). It's only a problem if the maintainer of your
favorite Japanese font forgets to include the Provides: line. I'm really
not sure if there's a simple solution to this.

--
Brian M. Carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> 0x560553e7