Re: Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Bruce Sass wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:

>> Freedesktop standard supporting
>> systems are probably used by 90% of all Debian desktop users.
>
> Unsubstantial, and probably bullshit.

Maybe you are just incapable of finding arguments and have to resort to bad
language? Highly probable.

> Because nobody but KDE and Gnome use those features and they
> already support .desktop files.

How would e.g. the lyx debian package get an i18nized menu entry into the
menu of either KDE or Gnome. YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE A DESKTOP FILE IF YOU WANT
A DECENT MENU. So your approach doubles the work for all people, because we
now need two menue entry files. Onde freedesktop and one for Bruce.

> True, but everyone except KDE and Gnome will toss out the freedesktop
> features.  Processing bloated .desktop files just to toss the
> results is a waste of resources.
How long does it take to strip a few information lines of let's exaggerate
6000 menu entries? Even a bash script on an old system wouldnt take long.
Use perl and you won't even notice a delay.

> older -> stability
> simpler -> faster, less resources hungry

nonstandard -> less stable, more work for maintainers
simpler -> hardly a CPU speed problem on today's desktop machines, also e.g.
KDE can process all the menu files it brings in about 10 secson an
Athlon-600MHz.

>> I don't understand how anyone can not support this change.
>
> Because:
>
> Nobody benefits from the transition... not even KDE or Gnome, since
> they already support the features the freedesktop standard brings to
> the table.

Debian would profit. Debian users would have a complete menu. Maintainers
would be able to use upstream information for the menue entries.

> also
>
> There is currently no way to provide system-wide alternates to the
> distributed .desktop files.  Only having per-user customisation
> available really, really, sucks, imo.

PArsing error? What is this problem?

> and
>
> I regularily use KDE, UWM, pdmenu, and Fluxbox, I also have twm, xfce
> and mwm installed... processing the menues takes too much time and
> resources as it is, and you want to use up more, for what gain?

Jesus, how often do you update your fscking menus? thrice daily?

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann mmh@gmx.net wiss. Mitarbeiter, IMGB
        La loi, dans un grand souci d'égalité, interdit aux riches comme aux