[Fwd: Easing the load.]

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: David Palmer <davidpalmer@westnet.com.au>
To: debian-curiosa@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Easing the load.
Date: 11 Dec 2003 20:50:15 +0800

I have seen what I believe is a need for an additional mailing list, not
so much for the benefit of the developers' list, but most definitely for
the sake of sanity on debian-user. I have posted to curiosain
recognition of their patience with an O.T. situation.

The following layout is for initial discussion only,pending the full
application being tendered as a wishlist bug report.

Thanking you for your attention.

Mailing List Request.

Basic Purpose:-

For this list, is multi-part.

A need is seen, within the context of Debian, for a repository for all
discussions and notifications that are not list specific. It could be
argued here that if a subject is not list-specific, it has no place in
the list. Allow me to supply some examples:-

        A notification on Debian-User of a new worm variant that sys.
        admins on the list require notice of, as they are running Debian
        servers supporting windows boxes also munging the mail
        headers/filters of the developer who is on the list to supply
        advice;

        Discussions that become O.T., that although they are not
        technical in nature enhance and enforce the community nature of
        Debian. They occur, so therefore members feel the need for the
        interaction, this would strengthen the community as a community.
        This is especially noticeable on lists with a broad spectrum
        sociological diversity such as Debian -User. I am not referring
        here, to the inconsequential drivel that arises from those
        entities that require a stage to prance on with a captive
        audience to assuage the requirements imposed by attention
        deficiency, there have been conversations initiated within the
        disciplines of philosophy and psychology/sociology, for example,
        and it is to these I refer. The other variety would get as short
        shrift on the new list as being as unproductive as they are in
        any other environment.

        There are many highly qualified people in the community,
        physicists, mathematicians, et al, who, if they had the option
        of taking part in non-debian discussion, could ironically
        generate new directions within Debian. For example, there are a
        number of packages of a mathematical nature within the Debian
        programme, these could well be collated into a sub-project. The
        type of list structure that I advocate conceivably forming a
        wellspring for projects of this nature;

        As a migration point for O.T. threads that are creating a
        distraction within the main lists. There are two aspects to
        this:-

        (1). The distracting, disruptive influence just stated, and

        (2). The carry over and clutter created within the corresponding
        archive. The last thing a busy admin needs when a server is
        down, and she requires the answer to a problem, is to have to
        wade through a tide of irrelevant flotsam and jetsam. Having the
        facility of a list of this nature would have the effect of
        really cleaning up the archives.

        Non productive O.T. threads could, with the consensus of three
        other list members (to avoid personality clash scenarios) for
        example, could be migrated to the proposed list, leaving the
        main list to proceed productively, maintaining the integrity of
        the archive. If the thread becomes too off the wall for the new
        list, and after an initial negotiation fails, the
        personality(ies) could be unsubscribed. I believe the new list
        could be as productively essential as any other in its' own way,
        I do not see it as the dumping ground for the collective Debian
        effluviant, just a little further down the alimentary tract
        perhaps ;

        As a repository for, and discussion arena of current news and
        affairs relevant to our industry, e.g., Microsofts' latest
        strategy, SCOs' gymnastics, the latest W.S.I.S. Conference
        moves, and etc.

        Debian is a community, but as such is also part of the greater
        community and not isolated from it. This world awareness could
        subtly enhance a wide number of Debian community aspects from
        programming direction to security. It would also create a
        resource for such entities as Debian Weekly;

There are other things that could be put forward as viable reasons for
the establishment of a list of this nature. I have only elaborated to
the extent that I have to illustrate the productive potential of this
venture, and the associated value it could present to the Debian
project, so as to avoid the hasty labeling of the situation as 'vanity
or offtopic.'

Interested Audience.

I'm sure that the number of O.T. threads in the lists are indicative of
the ability of this new list to establish and maintain itself. The
requirement is stated by the activity.

Also, after subsequent filing of the request to 'wishlist', others
interested in this situation could send a mail to the bug to register
interest. Details for this to be supplied in a subsequent mailing after
this initial stage is complete.

NAME.

This is open to suggestion at this stage.

Some possibilities might be:- Debian- wholistic, debian-adjunct, or
whatever is felt to have application.

RATIONALE.

All of the above under the heading 'Basic Purpose' and more would be
applicable here.

SHORT DESCRIPTION.

Open to suggestion.

LONG DESCRIPTION.

Open to suggestion.

CATEGORY.

I would suggest 'Other' here, but again, open to suggestion.

SUBSCRIPTION POLICY.

Open.

POST POLICY.

I would suggest moderated here, principally because of potential
content.

I would suggest a minimum of three moderators who would have to be
agreed as regards potential or actual unsubscription.

Any volunteers for moderators?

WEB ARCHIVE.

I think the answer is no for this one. Not that I don't think that some
of the threads wouldn't deserve archiving, but I think that server space
must be given to Debian proper as a priority.

Those that were interested in a particular thread could save it to a
mail folder/directory in transit. But again, open to suggestion.

Thoughts?

Regards,

David.