Re: Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 05:18:21PM -0600, Billy Biggs wrote:
> Andrew Suffield (asuffield@debian.org):
>
> > On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 09:49:54AM -0600, Billy Biggs wrote:
> > > Andrew Suffield (asuffield@debian.org):

> > > You sure it's "rewrite everything"?  A script to parse all .desktop
> > > files in /usr/share/applications and output the same as
> > > 'update-menus
> >
> > Straw man, again. The proposal was to rewrite all menu entries as
> > .desktop files - yeah, I'm sure that means rewriting them all.
>
>   Agreed on that, but it's not rewriting all of the menu package, which
> is what I felt your post implied.

Did you miss the context I quoted? You've since deleted it; let's
bring it back:

>...> You do realize that the desktop standard has more features than the
>...> debian menu system? Like i18n, icon theming, dynamic construction of a
>...> menu hierarchy based on user /Desktop system preferences and so on? And
>...> that this information would be lost? Why not run it the other way around,
>...> convert the existing debian menu entries to .desktop files and work from
>...> there? I think that this way would help debian on the desktops.

[Ignoring most of the drivel, the second to last sentence is the
relevant one; the rest of the mail I was replying to followed on from
that]

> Rewriting all menu files is fairly
> trivial and does not have to be done all at once.

"Fairly trivial"? I have over a hundred affected packages installed on
this box alone.

And... you do have to rewrite the menu package as well, obviously:

> > > A script to parse all .desktop
> > > files in /usr/share/applications and output the same as
> > > 'update-menus

That's most of the interesting content of the menu package (plus
documentation etc). It's not really a very complicated package.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |