Re: APT-Fu 0.2.3

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 12:48, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> wrote:
> > FWIW, the `fu' in kung-fu means something like style or technique, so
> > apt-fu sort of makes sense if you think of as a tool for doing cool
> > things using the power of apt... :-)
>
> I'm afraid that although the character `fu' has many meanings, but
> style or technique isn't one of them.

OK, agreed. After reading the apt-fu(1) completely I found the explanation
from the author. Under the "NOMENCLATURE" section it reads:
Initially, this project started out with the name 'apttoo', obviously
influenced by the name of well-known source-distribution for Linux. Then it
was renamed to 'aptor', but I didn't like that name, either.

Finally, I settled on 'apt-fu', giving naysayers a chance to call it,
'apt-futility' or apt-<4letterword>.

APT-Fu is the name of this project, but command-line applications are usually
written entirely in lowercase for easy of typing, so 'apt-fu' is the name of
the executable script.

optFiles is short for ``options files''.

In fact I was pleased to find that performings of apt-fu and opt files are
very well documented in man pages, README and examples/ ... Really doesn't
look like a fast hack (which I was suspecting for a while)

--
pub  4096R/0E4BD0AB 2003-03-18 <keyserver.bu.edu>
1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB