Re: [custom] The term "flavor" and encouraging work on Debian

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
>
> > In my view (as I said), it would be logical to name a further
> > subdivision of that product "flavor".
> I like this interpretation of the term flavor and it would be easily
> applicable for Debian-Med to flavors like:
>        - Medical practice
>        - Medical research
[snip]

Just a suggestion on naming:

Due to the unclear connotations, there is a great deal of confusion over
the terms "internal project", "subproject", "flavor", "custom Debian
distribution" and the like.  To clarify my own thinking, I started using
just "subset" and "mutation" instead.

To my mind, the difference is whether a given collection of packages aims
to be straightforwardly upgradable to a full Debian (IOW, whether it can
peacefully coexist with any number of packages from Debian proper).  If
yes, it's a subset.  If no, it's a mutation.  Debian-Jr, Debian-NP,
Debian-Lex, Debian-Med are all subsets.  Adamantix and Knoppix are
mutations.

Subsets can also have subsets, or a subset may even come from the
confluence of other subsets, so there is no need to name one level a
"custom Debian distro" and another level a "flavor".

My EUR 0.02,
Istvan