Re: [custom] The term "flavor" and encouraging work on Debian

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 09:21, Joerg Wendland wrote:
> Fabian Fagerholm, on 2003-12-02, 22:58, you wrote:
> > Debian is the super-project.
> >         XYZ is a Debian Subproject,
> >         which provides the flavors A, B and C.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> I like that though my in opinion flavors should only exist as
> specialized installers, specialized kernels and package collections via
> tasks and meta-packages.  In this way everything keeps Debian and what
> you get onto your machine depends only on the way you install Debian.

This is indeed the intention/ goal here. Some things, like debix/
knoppix live CDs start out with cool ideas that get implemented, before
becoming policy compliant and "part of debian proper". And that's fine -
having experiemental stuff pushing the edge is great actually.
Ultimately we end up with more and better toys!

cheers
zen

--
Debian Enterprise: A Custom Debian Distribution: http://debian-enterprise.org/