Re: apt-rpm article -- the features we don't have

Maybe I'm missing something, but none of this sounds like
functionality that a bit of parsing  out to other programs can't
solve, given that I do it locally for the systems in my lab.

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> required) In summary, apparently apt-rpm users can now do some things
> with apt that we cannot.
>
> To install a package directly, with apt downloading any necessary
> dependencies:
>   apt-get install rpmver-2.0-13498cl.i386.rpm

couldn't this just refer to dpkg --install ?

> Similarly, to check the build depends of a source package file:
>   apt-get build-dep apt-listchanges-1.49-11104cl.src.rpm

similarly...?

> Next is a bit about local repositories that work w/o a Packages file.
> Instead of needing to keep the Packages file up-to-date, apt just scans
> the rpm files in the local repository directory. Of course this needs a
> file:// repository. Sounds just a smidgen easier than using
> mini-dinstall.

if there is a directory, a temporary run of dpkg-scanpackages plus...?

--
rossini@u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error,
please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.