Re: Custom Debian Distributions (was: Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?))

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 15:01, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 04:57:01PM +0100, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > I think that work by groups like Skolelinux and others under the
> > banner of creating custom distros has been inspired by and working
> > toward Bdale's flavors.
>
> Well, custom distributions have their own incentive: getting the perfect
> distribution for a particular group. Whether that be schools, or people
> who don't want to have to touch their hard drive to try out Linux,
> or something else. That alone doesn't necessarily mean they should
> be trying to use a pure Debian install -- sometimes it's /better/ to
> maintain a different codebase.

Besides release timetables (which I think will become much less
significant once the new installer is done), what are the reasons that
having a separate distribution codebase are better (I had been assuming
that it is better to merge where possible - The Universal OS, yadda
yadda)?

> (Or, alternatively, we want people *not* to have to make the choice
> between runing Debian and having a custom distribution)

Unless Custom Debian Distribution means utilizing scripts/ programs
packaged in main to create said "customization". At least, this is my
assumption and intention for Debian Enterprise: A Custom Debian
Distribution.

cheers
zen

--