Re: /etc/aliases and policy -- possible mass bug filing

* Blars Blarson

| Several packages I have installed (and presumably others I havn't)
| modify /etc/alises in the install scripts.  This is presumably a
| configuration file, which should be owned by a single package.

Why?  It's part of the base system.

Apache has code similar to:

if [ "$2" != "" ]; then
    if [ -e /etc/aliases ]; then
        if ! grep -qi "^webmaster:" /etc/aliases; then
            echo "webmaster: root" >> /etc/aliases
            if [ -x /usr/sbin/newaliases ]; then
                newaliases
            fi
        fi
    fi
fi

which I find perfectly acceptable.  (Except for the tiny fault that
the alias isn't removed on package removal..)

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-