Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:57:41AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:28:41PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 02:14:49AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > I'm not saying this would be immoral or something like that, but e.g. a
> > > major release without Evolution [2] (currently ages away from reentering
> > > testing) might make Debian stable unusable for many users - and you should
> > > be aware of such consequences.
> >
> > I don't use evolution, so I really haven't concerned myself with this at
> > all.  Some people that I work with do use it, though, so if there is
> > something bite-sized that I can do to help it along, I would probably do it.
> > However, evolution has no RC bugs, and is only waiting on dependencies.
> > It looks like GNOME 2 in general needs either more time or more hinting.
>
> ... which will happen in a couple of days. However, evolution currently
> depends on three "trouble spots" in addition to the guts of GNOME 2.4:
>
>   * krb4 - has a complicated dependency graph involving heimdal and
>     postgresql, but with any luck this should disappear once perl is
>     ready.
>
>   * pilot-link - needs perl, but also its soname has changed between
>     testing and unstable so it'll doubtless need more attention.

I'm counting 8 other source packages that need to be ready at the same
time to be hinted together with pilot-link.

>   * mozilla - almost there but hasn't built on m68k and mipsel,
>     apparently due to various dependency problems. Could benefit from
>     being retried.

Besides this, Mozilla with at about two dozen other packages depending
on a specific version of Mozilla will never enter testing without a
massive hinting (thats one of the reasons why testing still contains
Mozilla 1.0.0).

additionally:

  * RC bug in gtkhtml3.0

  * RC bug in gnome-pilot