How to allow the removal of emacs20

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>sledge:~$ apt-cache showpkg emacs20
>Package: emacs20
>Reverse Depends:

Thanks, Steve.

I discovered upon manual examination of the apt lists for that long list
of reverse depends that most of them had an alternative for emacs20.  The
following didn't:

w3-el-e20: This and the corresponding w3-doc-e20 and w3-lisp-e20 are
emacs20-specific; there's a different package for the emacs21 version.
So these should be removed along with, or before, emacs20.  All reverse
depends have appropriate alternatives.

eshell, speedbar: These are emacs20 specific, since they're included in
emacs21 and xemacs21.  So these should be removed along with, or before,
emacs20.  No outside reverse depends.

emacs20-el: Same source as emacs20.  No reverse depends.

Accordingly, I don't see any real obstacles.  Unless of course I'm missing
some architecture-specific non-i386 package.  But the packages mentioned
above do need to be removed too.

Nathanael Nerode  <neroden at gcc.gnu.org>