RE: debian-installer beta 1

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> > That would be great!  At least if it means ATARAID-style
> > software RAID.  No opinion about LVM-style RAID.
>
> Yuck (if by ATARAID you mean those PoS controllers from, e.g., Promise
> -- these are slow as a snail compared to md software RAID), and Yuck
> for LVM RAID too (slow, limited, cubersome).
>
> Good software RAID is md raid :)  with LVM on top of it, of course.
> LVM is a good thing, if you do it right and never bother with
> 'striping' on the LVM layer. Do it in the md RAID layer (or hardware
> layer, for that matter).

Is "md RAID" (I don't know this one) compatible with ATARAID in regard of the partition/storage layout on disks, i.e. can I use ATARAID drivers to access "md RAID" disks and vice versa?  I need this kind of compatibility since I dual-boot Windows 2000 on the systems in question.

PS: Please don't CC me when answering to the list.  The "Reply-To" header is just there for private replies.