Re: gimp1.2: gimp package suggest non-free software

On Nov 12, 2003, at 7:38 AM, Eike Sauer wrote:

As far as I know(*), the patent is still valid in Europe and Japan
until mid 2004. Shouldn't this matter for an international project?

This is true, I believe. Whether or not the main GIMP source (distributed in main) is even allowed in Europe and Japan is another good question. How do we deal with this situation for other source projects that contain things like encryption that are outlawed in countries X, Y, and Z but OK in the US?

The GIMP upstream authors have repeatedly shown no interest in this; plug-ins/common/gif.c contains code straight from 'compress'.

Ben