Re: possible compromise for ITP: linux?

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:30:54PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>  - this packages adds nothing, and would occupy a fair chunk of space
>    in the archive. The "advantages" cited were rapidly debunked and no
>    more were given.

I haven't seen any of them being debunked. The only exception is the second
paragraph of the second advantage, which started with "This is specialy
important for security updates."

But not being specialy important for something doesn't mean it isn't an
advantage at all.

>  - this package cannot be safely upgraded (without forcing a reboot).

I sent an explanation on how to send this a while ago (in response to Colin,
not yet archived). Basicaly, backing up in preinst solves the problem.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)