Re: using freedesktop.org libs

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 00:39, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:44:20PM +0000, Anthraxz __ wrote:
>
> > The freebsd developpers are making some changes to the XFree86 ports to
> > reduce the pain associated with upgrading and maintaining XFree86.
> >
> > http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16052
>
> Debian doesn't share freebsd's bug of building everything on the
> target system, so this doesn't really apply.

That's not the only point, there's also 'I also expect the
freedesktop.org libraries to stay better maintained and release more
frequently than XFree86's', e.g.

> > I found this idea very interesting. I think that the debian project should
> > take more advantage of the freedesktop.org libs.
>
> Glancing briefly at the packages in sid, we've been using the ones
> they have released for a while. Unreleased libraries do not belong in
> unstable.

It's not about released vs. unreleased but XFree86 vs. freedesktop.org.

> Please at least make an effort at some research in future, it took me
> barely five minutes to note all this stuff and write this mail.

And it shows, I'm afraid...

Software libre enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer