Re: How can I help sarge be truly great.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:26:31PM +1100, Lex Hider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just returned to debian after a bit of an experimental odyssey
> (gentoo, freebsd etc.) and am currently tracking sarge.
>
> I've used debian on various occassions but never really
> contributed (yes I know I should be ashamed).
>
> My question is how can I pitch in and help at the current
> point to make sarge a truly great release?
>
> Should I help out with some programming stuff (I just started
> a CS degree so my skills are fairly raw) or should I pitch in
> with documentation? Packaging? checking policy compliance?
> Where can I help the most?
>
> Obviously with long times between releases it's vital to make
> sarge as perfect as it can be.
> Sarge is going to be a pretty monumental release (gcc3,
> gnome2, kde3, openoffice added, new installer, etc).
> And it looks like it might be something like 18months between
> releases. Do people think that this will be exceptionally longer
> than subsequent releases due to such major changes?

I think testing Debian-installer would be an excellent idea at the
moment, and helping out with writing manual-pages for packages that lack
such; there are still a lot of them.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //