Re: webmin and usermin package descriptions

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 15:18, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> webmin

"web-based administration toolkit" (i.e., decapitalise "Web").

"toolkit" is also maybe not the right word for this task, but I admit my
ignorance of webmin. "tool"? "interface?"

| Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix.
| Using any browser that supports tables and forms (and Java for the
| File Manager module), you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file
| sharing and so on.

s/setup/set up/

What does the File Manager module do?

What in particular does installing this package (versus installing
webmin-core, webmin-optional, etc) get me? Is this just a meta package?

> webmin-optional
> webmin-extra

I can't see these packages. However, there is a gluttony of webmin-*
packages. I'll be happy to comment on them, but I'd really rather have a
set all laid out in front of me (for example, in an email) where I am
not forced to cut and paste each.

> usermin

Trying to draw a parallel between webmin and usermin:

"web-based user configuration tool"
"web-based user administration tool"
"web-based user task tool"

Again, tool, toolkit, I'm not sure.

| Usermin is a web interface that can be used by any user on a Unix
| system to easily perform tasks like reading mail, setting up SSH or
| configuring mail forwarding.

Paragraph break here.

I don't think it's necessary to say "on a Unix system." Isn't that
implied by its inclusion in Debian?

An alternate:

"Usermin is a web-based interface for common user tasks. Its
capabilities include reading mail, setting up SSH and configuring mail
forwarding."

| Usermin consists of a simple web
| server, and a number of CGI programs which directly update user
| config files like ~/.cshrc and ~/.forward. The web server and all
| CGI programs are written in Perl.

This mentions too many details for the description. I suggest something
along the lines of:

"Usermin consists of a simple web server and several CGI programs which
interact with the user. These CGI programs perform actions such as
updating configuration files."

Someone who knows usermin better than I could probably write something
better.

Again, it's not clear what exactly this package provides. What is its
relationship to the various usermin-* packages? (I assume they provide
new CGI programs for the usermin web server to execute.)

> There are also webmin-cluster, webmin-contrib and usermin-contrib but they
> haven't been uploaded yet.  I can send the control files to anyone who's
> interested.

Feel free to send the short and long description for any packages to me.
I'll get to them when I can.

Also note that I am on the l10n-english list too, so feel free to send
things there.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

My weblog doesn't detail my personal life: http://me.woot.net