Re: On linux kernel packaging issue

> > Please please please don't go the Windows way - "let's make it usable
> > for dummies at the price of making it hardly usable by experts"! The
> > saying is: "Create a system that is usable even by idiots, and only
> > idiots will use it".
>
> I made the package in the way I found most consistent and easy to
> understand, for users and for developers. You're calling me idiot by
> saying that, so I'll stop here.

I apologize if the above could be understood that way.
Of course I didn't meant that. I believe the cited saying is well-known,
so I just cited it. There was nothing personal.

> It's you who hasn't a clear view of the situation. I understand
> perfectly what the problems are. Some of these "problems" are not
> really problems but extra features I don't intend to support. Other
> "problems" are actualy upstream bugs by not integrating support for all
> architectures in mainline.

Maybe some "problems" may be called upstream bugs. However, we should
realize that:
- kernel is absolutely required
- kernel is extremely complex
- there are lots of debatable issues inside the kernel
That means that most of such "upstream bugs" will not be "fixed by
upstream" in a reasonable time, and we need to use kernel as is.

> Some people pretend that, in order to reestructure the package, I have
> to solve all the problems that have been attached to it in the last few
> years. But I don't have to.

Of course.
But if a feature is supported now, and you are proposing to remove the
support, it is definitly a bad idea. Some reasons were described in my
original posting.

"Kernel patch" packages are maintained by different people. No one is
asking you to maintain them all. However, if you are going to maintain
"the main kernel package", you should ensure that all those incompatable
patches will have a change to be usable. Because there are people who
need them.

In case I really misunderstand things, please explain the following.

1. How with your scheme users will get CPU-optimized kernel on each
system? Note that CPU-optimization for kernel is not the same as giving
-fcpu=xxx to gcc - the actual kernel core differs!
Currently this is solved by
apt-get install 'kernel-image-xxx kernel-headers-xxx'

2. How with your scheme users will get customized kernels installed?
Now this may be done by downloading kernel sources (from any of several
existing upstream trees), applying needed patches, and running make-kpkg.