Re: Looking for apt-get internals guide

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 06:31:44PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:

> > On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 04:46:39PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > But, I don't see why you should need to hook into apt at all in order to do
> > what you want.  If the files you change are conffiles, your changes should
> > be preserved, and if they aren't conffiles, you can divert them.
>
> Many of the files we're shipping modify files that may or may not be on
> the system - for instance, we might not ship a box with ftp or dhcp daemons
> installed, but only later get requests for them.  If I can make this
> hook into apt, it will automagically apply the patches to the conffiles,
> add the extra logcheck ignore lines, and set up firewall rules for us.
> Writing the script that does the actual work is easy - hooking into apt
> is the hard part (at least for me) so that's why I asked.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion - it looks like a good starting point.

I would split up your package into packages which represent the different
pieces of software that they are modifying (and have them depend on what
they need to work) rather than doing the work conditionally.

logcheck seems like a bad example.  For logcheck, you only need to supply a
file with patterns in it; this makes no difference whether a package is
installed or not.  Likewise, adding firewall rules happens at boot time or
when a network interface is brought up, not when a package is installed by
apt.

--
 - mdz