Re: improvements to apt: my thanks to the developers

David Nusinow <dnusinow@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 08:48:58PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> so, with that background, i am absolutely DELIGHTED to note that
>> apt has some additional information that it displays: it shows up
>> the recommended and suggested packages.
>> this is INCREDIBLY helpful because by installing one package i can
>> go "hm, maybe i should add that, too".
>> possible future improvements on this theme could include options,
>> including in /etc/apt/apt.conf, to _always_ add the recommended
>> packages to the list of packages to be installed.
> Ok, obviously you've been ignoring dselect and aptitude, both of which
> show these bits of information. And yes, aptitude can be used on the
> command line like apt-get (dselect's version of this is a bit
> different).
> It's a real social problem that too many people are indoctrinated to
> believe that Debian = apt-get, and they expect this magical tool to
> solve all their problems, generally ignoring not only suggests and
> recommends, but also alternative programs which handle them differently.

It also doesn't help that the stable installation manual reinforces this
"social problem":

  8.11 Configuring APT

  The main means that people use to install packages on their system is
  via a program called apt-get, from the apt package.

  8.12 Package Installation: Simple or Advanced

  If you are looking for a specific single package, after installation
  is complete, simply run apt-get install package, where package is the
  name of the package you are looking for.

IMO, use of apt-get should be deprecated and frowned upon except by
those that know what the hell they are doing.

I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis.