Re: APT: Errors when replacing syslog by syslog-ng

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 04:54:07PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

> I just got the following messages replacing syslog by syslog-ng from dselect
> (Woody).
> Should this be reported as a bug? Against which package (syslog, syslog-ng,
> apt)?

Definitely not apt.

> The problems are:
> - - messages regarding klogd and anacron are incorrect as syslog-ng provides
> system-log-daemon so dependencies are met

Since sysklogd and syslog-ng conflict, sysklogd must be removed before
syslog-ng can be installed, so there is a window where packages depending on
system-log-daemon are broken.  As you can see from the message, this
situation is being explicitly permitted in order to allow the upgrade to
complete.

> - - these messages are displayed twice

This seems harmless enough, but would be dpkg's fault.

> - - syslog-ng is started, then stopped and then started again, why?

Also pretty harmless, and syslog-ng's fault.

--
 - mdz