Re: faster boot

* Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org> [031015 11:31]:
> - disabling of services in a consistent way (some are disabled via
>   /etc/defaults/package, some expect you to edit the init.d script,
>   some suggest removing the links)

I think removing the link is the way to go.

> - hooks for other init systems (for example i'd like the apache init.d
>   script to be aware of my minit, and restart itself via minit)

That sounds like a task to change something in start-stop-daemon...

> Some distributions try to provide a "check" command for each init
> script; afaict we don't. I've seen "start-now", "stop-now" commands
> which override "disabled" services and so on.

I think init.d scripts should start, when they are called with start,
and not refuse to do so.
That's the whole policy/invoce-rc.d about, that the test is done before...

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.