A cool tool called lintian

As an ex-Debian-developer I'd like to introduce a tool only few Debian
maintainers seem to know about:
  lintian

It's e.g. described in Chapter 7 of the "Debian New Maintainers' Guide"
[1] and there's a server that runs daily lintian over all (i386)
packages [2].

lintian does not catch all errors and sometimes lintian is wrong, but
it's a good way to start to check your package.

An example:

lintian.debian.org lists 136 packages with
package-lacks-versioned-build-depends-on-debhelper.

Description of this lintian error:

     If a package sets debhelper's compatibility version to >= 1, either
     via DH_COMPAT, or via debian/compat, or via dh_testversion (which
     is deprecated), it must declare a versioned Build-Depends on the
     needed version of debhelper.

To version the build dependency on debhelper is in this case perhaps
more over-correct than actual needed but it doesn't do any harm and I'd
expect a Debian developer to version the build dependency if he sees
such a lintian error.

There are more serious lintian errors like missing-depends-line (nine
packages - nine RC bugs). If the maintainer would have used lintian
these bugs would have never existed.

cu
Adrian

BTW: I'm not subscribed to debian-devel