Re: recent spam to this list

Julian Mehnle writes:
> It does very well make sense to specify a "sender address" for an e-mail,
> and that's exactly what the SMTP "MAIL FROM" command AKA envelope-from
> (and the "Sender:" header) is meant to be.  Even RFCs (2)821 and (2)822
> articulate it that way.  Nowhere do these RFCs state that the
> envelope-from can or should be used for status reporting *only*, do they?

If I go to Eau Claire and drop a letter in a letter box am I required to
put the address of the box on the letter?  Am I forging if I put my Elmwood
address on it instead?  How about if I go into a library in Eau Claire and
send an email?  Why should I not put my Elmwood address on it?  Of what
possible use to anyone would the address of the machine I sent it from be?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)