Re: Kernel source 2.4.22 and ipvs problems

On Monday 06 October 2003 19:38, Bao C. Ha wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:12:03PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
>
> Hi Herbet,
>
> If I want both the freeswan module capability and IPVS, how should
> I proceed.

You need kernel hacker skills to do that. Even if these patches both apply
cleanly each after other, then this is still not a sign that the resulting
kernel (compiled from these sources) will work correctly, because you might
hit lots of logical/semantics errors inside the source tree and so on. As of
2.4.22 still these patches are not intended to work together ... In any way a
proper merging is needed. Go ask on LKML or wait for further kernel releases
where these patches may be merged correctly to work together.

> > Bao C. Ha <bao@hacom.net> wrote:
> > > I am trying to patch the kernel 2.4.22 and got into troubles.  It seems
> > > that the Debian kernel has been patched to do away the pmtu field of
> > > the struct dst_entry (include/net/dst.h).
> > >
> > > Any sugegstions on how to get it working again.  The last working
> > > Debian kernel with IPVS is 2.4.20.
> >
> > You can either use a vanilla kernel, or unapply the IPSEC patch as
> > documented in the README.Debian file.

Sorry but this is not true and your documentation is misleading ! You have
already known that your ipsec patch can't even be unapplied cleanly, and it
is documented for kernel-source-2.4.22-2 in #213987... This is not corrected
for kernel-source-2.4.22-3 (which is in sid now) and very likely it will not
be corrected in the future. I'm not sure how many users are going to trust
such broken source trees... Then you leave these users the only option of
downloading the kernel from kernel.org or svn'ing it from kernel.bkbits.net
and patching it as they want.

--
pub  4096R/0E4BD0AB 2003-03-18 <keyserver.bu.edu>
1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB