Re: Annoyances of aptitude

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 05:20:10 +0200, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   As I indicated in a recent message, I don't currently have time to
> get aptitude working the way I'd like.  Please consider this a public
> call for a codeveloper -- you can "interview" by submitting working
> patches for one of the issues below, particularly the ones I've outlined
> a fix for.  (aptitude is maintained as an Alioth project, so if you have
> an Alioth account, I can just add you to the project)

aptitude is actually in a rather good state IMHO, it gets the job done
very well. I've never grocked dselect, but once I had found out about
aptitude, I was converted to the Debian side :-)

A minor issue that plagues me as a Sid user is the "broken packages"
display. When I install foo that breaks package bar by conflicts of
dependencies of dependencies (you get the idea), aptitude tells me that
there are broken packages. That's nice to know, but it would be even
better if aptitude could display a _list_ of these packages in the "g"
view (I mean the summary that appears just before committing the changes).
With the current release, I have to browse through the packages and hope
to stumble on the broken ones.

This is probably not directly relevant for the Sarge release, but it would
be very helpful.

--
Best Regards,  | Wer Windows-Rechner ins Internet lässt,
 Sebastian     | braucht nicht über SWEN stänkern!