Re: Annoyances of aptitude (Was: Where are we now?) (Was: Bits from the RM)

On 02-Oct-03, 21:59 (CDT), Daniel Burrows <dnb114@psu.edu> wrote:
> > The Users Manual starts with a section on the non-interactive interface.
> > Huh?
>
>   I suppose the command-line interface could be documented later, but
> it's usually documented earlier.  Or are you objecting to the odd phrase
> "non-interactive interface"?

I think his point is that if one is in the "interactive interface", and
uses the the menu to view the User's Manual, one is probably not too
interested in the command line options. :-) The command line options
should probably be left out of the text displayed in the interactive
environment, or moved to the end.

>   There's task information in the database, but no mapping to
> "human-readable" names.  Would you prefer that tasks be hidden entirely?

Yeah, if you can't properly support tasks, there's no point in
displaying that section.

> [ Get menu with ESC or Ctrl-<space> ]

ESC doesn't work for me, either on the console or in rxvt.

>   It will never be off by default while I am a maintainer of the package,
> unless someone gets me to change my mind (which I don't think is likely;
> I already thought for a while about this before changing the default to
> be "on")

You might consider including a default filter so that the only
candidates for automatic removal begin with 'lib' and don't end with
'-dev'.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland