Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:04:15 +0200
martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> I'd appreciate if you would not quote me on a mailing list without
> my consent. Anyhow...
>
> also sprach Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> [2003.09.22.2114 +0200]:
> > It's a well accepted fact among kernel developers that vanilla
> > kernel.org kernels should not be used by end users.
>
> Could you point me to some reference on this, please? Albeit rather
> advanced, I am an end user that uses the vanilla kernels, so
> I should know some reasons.

The ptrace bug fix took two monthes to be fixed in a stable kernel. The
arguement was that end users use a distro kernel that would pick up the
fix, and if you used kernel.org, you would read the lists to get the fix
(ie, you patch kernel.org, if that's what you run). Releases have been
much more frequent since then...

Thomas