Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 06:36:25PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Sun, 18 May 2003 20:32:05 -0400, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> said:
> > dh-kpatches provides a dependency/ordering facility which has worked
> > well for me in my packages.  It also provides
> > /usr/share/doc/kernel-image-foo/applied-patches documenting the
> > package and version for each patch that is applied.  I think this
> > would be a good starting point for such a policy, since it is
> > already being applied in Debian.
>
> 	Is this dependency information easily accessible to external
>  scripts? It is nice that the patch scripts themselves realize when a
>  required patch has been installed or not, but it would work much
>  better if the order in which these patches were applied could also be
>  ordered nicely (so patches are applied in dependency order), and so
>  that we can abort early (before anything was modified in the local
>  sources) in case some dependencies have not been met.
>
> 	So, is there a way that kernel-package can interface with this
>  dependency/ordering facility?

As far as I know, there is no external interface (the dependency information
is stored in shell variables inside the script).

The scripts handle ordering by testing each dependency, and if it is not
already applied, invoking the corresponding apply script.  In this way, all
dependencies should be applied in proper order.  Rollback could presumably
be implemented by unapplying all patches if any patch fails (dh-kpatches
should now implement correct ordering for unapplication as well).

It may indeed make sense to move some of this logic into kernel-package, if
you are willing to do it.

--
 - mdz