Re: propose new virtual package: libxaw-dev

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:00:03PM -0500, Craig P. Steffen wrote:

> I am prospective DD; as one of my opening packages, I intend to adopt the
> sound file editor xwave.  One of the bugs against it, 170005, says that
> depending on the virtual package "libxaw-dev" is wrong.

Yes; dependencies on pure virtual packages with no preceding real
alternative are wrong.

> However, reading the debian policy manual sections 3.6 and 7.4, it seems to
> me to be a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  The real packages libxaw6-dev
> and libxaw7-dev exist, and are listed as Providing libxaw-dev.  The only
> other thing that the policy manuals suggest is that virtual packages be
> mentioned in the virtual-packages-name-list.txt.
>
> So I propose that "libxaw-dev" be added to that list.

You're misunderstanding what's going on.  Adding libxaw-dev to the
virtual packages list won't suddenly make it okay to have a pure virtual
dependency on it.

Packages must always delcare a dependency on a real package before a
pure virtual one as an alternative.  E.g.:

Depends: libxaw7-dev | libxaw-dev
Depends: xterm | x-terminal-emulator

The reason for this is so that package management utilities can
automatically act on such dependencies, instead of halting and asking
the user to solve the problem of which of N packages that provide the
virtual package should be installed.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Biology is really chemistry.