Re: Done

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 07:24, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:53:53 -0500, Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> said:
>
> > If you are able to recognize that a given package description is
> > inadequate, you are also capable of discerning *what* is wrong with
> > it, even if you don't know what the package does; and you are
>
> 	Umm.
>
> Package: blacs-lam-test
>  This package provides programs to test your BLACS libraries.
>
> 	Let us see. Whats is a Basic Linear Algebra Communications
>  Subprogram? What kind of tests are provided? Why should I want to
>  install this package?

Why indeed?  I put myself in the position of a "normal" user:

Basic Linear Algebra ???

Algebra means maths
I don't need any maths programs
I don't need this package

> 	I recognize this desciption is inadequate, mostly because I
>  have no idea what the package in question does.  What are Linear
>  Algebra Communications?  Are there communications programs, as
>  opposed to subprograms? Heck, I don't even know enough to ask
>  intelligent questions.

As a "normal" user, I know that I don't need to ask any questions.  I
don't need this package or any others related to it.  Only
mathematicians or scientists are likely to need it and they will know
what Linear Algebra is.

Now if that conclusion is erroneous, then the package description is
indeed inadequate; but I believe the conclusion to be correct.

A second point in relation to this particular package is that it would
not be considered on its own.  At packages.debian.org, it is shown to be
dependent on blacs1-lam, which says something about what BLACS is.  Why
clutter the database with duplicate explanations?  The Packages.gz file
is already enormous.

Thirdly, the package is a test package.  Why would any user even think
of installing a test package unless he already knows he wants the
package that is to be tested?

     "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God..."
                                Psalm 14:1