Re: autoconf and setting prefix

Oliver Kurth <oku@masqmail.cx> writes:
> > Specifying prefix on the make command line should work and not try to
> > install to /usr (though he appears to be using it incorrectly so
> > probably won't get what he wants).
>
> Using prefix is dangerous, because it may be compiled into the code or
> scripts. It may work with most packages, but not all. prefix is meant
> to be the final destination.

No, its use for this purpose is well defined (and required by the GNU
coding standards).

You probably already know this, but for anyone that doesn't:  if you
want to install to a prefix that's different than the one compiled into
the program, you must do `make' and `make install prefix=...' as two
separate steps.  The G.C.S. require that any package that embeds paths
must do so only at compile time, not at install time, thus the above
usage is safe.

> If DESTDIR is not supported, we should make it to support it, and send
> the fix to upstream.

As with bugs in the handling of prefix.

-Miles
--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train