Re: why do I need EMail to install some debs?

Harald,

> I am not talking about runtime, but installation time. AFAIR the
> interface to use is called debconf. Obviously some packages want
> to be very sure that I get some important messages, and try to
> send me an EMail instead (or in addition).

Ah, I see the problem now. Well, it could be regarded a bug in debconf
or the MTAs that they do not handle this situation (actually, I think it
is a bug in the MTAs).

> I have to admit, I haven't tried ssmtp yet. I am using sendmail
> for years.

Well, ssmtp is made for workstations where users send mail, but that do
not need a full mailer (for example, because the mail spool is mounted
from the mail server).

   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4