Re: Building kernel modules for stock kernels is a hell of a job!

#include <hallo.h>
* Manoj Srivastava [Mon, Aug 25 2003, 03:50:33PM]:

Okay, I think I have found a solution for the people with different
points of view. First, let's summarize some.

> >> Of course, it all used to fall apart for user who had multiple
> >> kernels installed, and woh used to swithc in between, people who
> > Of course, but aren't those people (except for those with limited
> > space) usually the ones that can cope with that? If you're
> > knowledgeable enough to use multiple kernels, it can be assumed that
> 	There are two constituencies here. One set wants to just have
>  the minimal install, and another wants both headers and the kernel
>  image. The obvious solution is to give people a choice, which is what
>  we do now.
> 	Difficult?

My solution is called: module-assistant. This package is small enough to
be installed with basedebs and will help the user (note: "end users" are
"difficult" by default) with the compiling of kernel module packages. It
will suggest to install the right headers, it will select the headers
directory or the source directory for self-compiled kernels and a
planned feature is a "fakesource" function to "restore" the
kernel-source directory for some existing kernel-image package. It keeps
track about installing source version and display when package upgrade
is possible.

It will also provide some sugar for developers: it will simplify
building whole package series for different kernels. It also installs
Makefile includes [1] used to calculate different things, create changes
files and sign them. [2]

Package maintainers with some non-convential views about the ways to
fetch the modules source (like apt-src fanatics) can install their own
control scripts to adapt module-assistant's behaviour.

For those who are interested, wait for FTP master to install the
package into unstable or visit:

http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/module-assistant/?cvsroot=modass

(provisoric, public Subversion repository comming soon)

NOTE: this package is not intended to make kernel-package obsolete. It
just takes a subset of its functions and makes them useable in a more
comfortable way.

[1] The code from dh-make template is also included in a separate file,
    but *brrrr* only use it if you really like it

[2] I really hope that most kernel-package maintainers will start to use
    this solution and contribute improvements. Currently, there are
    dozens of private solutions, some maintainers use stolen code from alsa-source
    or from pcmcia-source and others invent something new. Of course,
    depending on a central package create a single point of failure but
    it really helps to avoid the present chaos.

Have fun,
Eduard.
--
Im Falle eines Falles ist richtig fallen alles.