Re: configure web proxy via DHCP server

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 09:56:38AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On the client side, however, at least dhcp3-client requires recompiling
> for each option you want to export to the client hook scripts.  This was

You do? I was kindof hoping that with /etc/dhcp3/dhclient*-hooks.d/,
it would be just a matter of adding an extra script that runs...

> recently done for the netbios options that Samba uses.  I know there are
> many more unexported options that are potentially useful to other
> packages, including ntp timeserver information; it might be nice to
> gather a list of them all at once for submission to the dhcp3
> maintainers, so they're not constantly recompiling to special-case each
> attribute.

Sounds like a good idea...

So we can put the proxy server on the DHCP server, in the form
of a reference to a PAC file.

We can (with modifications) retrieve the reference to the PAC
file on the client.

Then what?

I think that there are two cases:

1. browsers that don't support PAC files, eg. lynx, links, and
w3m probably don't (correct me if I am wrong).

2. browsers that do support PAC files, but need to be configured
to use it for each user on the system.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>