Re: configure web proxy via DHCP server

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 12:01:42PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Is this possible?
> It would be really "cool"(tm) if I didn't have to reconfigure every
> program on my laptop to use a different proxy server every time I plug
> it into a different network.

The answer is close to you:
$ apt-cache search laptop configure
(manually removing useless entries)
ifplugd - A configuration daemon for ethernet devices
laptop-net - Automatically adapt laptop ethernet
laptop-net-doc - Automatically adapt laptop ethernet - documentation
laptop-netconf - network detection and configuration program for laptops
whereami - Automatically reconfigure your (laptop) system for a new

All of these, IIRC, provide means to run user-defined scripts for
autoconfiguration. Setting up the proxy server might be just a manner of
setting up the http_proxy environment variable depending on your location
(although some browsers might not use it).