Re: tmda: Challenge-response is fundamentally broken

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:08:23AM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
[snip... oh my!]

How amusing to see Sobig.F cited as the reason for reassigning grave
severity to a bug! Looks to me as if you just didn't find a sobig-f package
to file the bug against, so something else had to be the culprit.

In the long run, it would be nice to have a special mail header used by all
auto-responders - bounces, virus alerts, out-of-office, maybe even a
variant for challenge-response systems -, to allow these mails to be
filtered.

A good (temporary) solution for people who use c-r systems is to filter
Sobig.F, like so (.procmailrc):

:0
* ^Subject: (Re: That movie|Re: Wicked screensaver|Re: Your application|Re: Approved|Re: Re: My details|Re: Details|Your details|Thank you!)$
Mail/spam

Challenge-response antispam systems are considered useful by enough users
to be included in the archive. IMHO it must be left to the user to decide
whether they're worth the trouble or not - Debian has no business making
such decisions on behalf of the user.

Cheers,

  Richard (who, also hates c-r systems, but that's irrelevant)

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯