Re: Software Patents in Europe

* Glenn McGrath (bug1@optushome.com.au) [030826 15:05]:
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:58:10 +0200
> Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:

> > SPAM doesn't get better if done for a "good thing".
> >
> > (That doesn't stop me of writing letters to Members of European
> > Parliament e.g., but your mail is absolutly misdirected at d-d.)

> Software patents do restrict what debian can distribute, this list is

I know, I'm just massivly fighting with them in one package. It's
definitly no fun.

> for people interested in developing and distributing software.
>
> The mail is relavent to the members of the list, and non-commercial in
> nature, i dont see how you can consider it to be spam.

Sorry, but there a multiple messages about the very same thing on
different lists sent by activists. I for myself consider this as
inproper use. There was e.g. a message on August 22 here. If messages
about one topic are unreleated to each other, that certainly not the
way the references-functions are made to work, and it's showing that
the persons are not discussing but just announcing their action here.

And: -devel is just the wrong list, -project would be far more
adaequate.

That something is "non-commercial" or "for a good purpose" isn't it
make much better. There are right tools and ways for something.
Misusing other tools is bad. Always.

(Trying to stop misinterpreting: I think that sw-patents are a bad
thing, and that the campaign again is a very good thing. But even for
very good things there are borders not to be crossed.)

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/