Re: Bits from the RM

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:36:05PM -0400, Neil Roeth wrote:
> On Aug 19, Anthony Towns (aj@azure.humbug.org.au) wrote:
>  > 	* September 15th
>  > 		Last major changes to major packages uploaded to unstable
>  > 	* October 1st
>  > 		1st test cycle, public request for comments
>  > 		Last minute fixes and changes to the installer
>  > 	* October 15th
>  > 		Final, last minute, low-risk bug fixes only
> They are not major packages, so September 15 does not apply.  A new upstream
> release hardly guarantees there will be only final, last minute, low risk bug
> fixes required, so it would need to be uploaded well before October 15.  If
> there is no set date, then I will just make sure they meet the relevant
> criteria by October 15.

Note that the layout is:

			activity
		end date

So you should start doing any "last major changes to major packages for
upload to unstable" by sept 15th, and make sure you're finished doing
them by oct 1st. (Although, if you're going to misinterpret it, far better
to misinterpret the deadlines as two weeks earlier...)

Otherwise, the best way to ensure that upstream changes are low-risk is
to do a line by line review of the changes, and test it yourself. For
minor updates to relatively small packages, this is generally feasible.
Other ways are to do copious testing of it, upstream and down; and if
there *is* copious upstream testing, to try to keep your .diff.gz as
small as possible, so you get the most value you can from that testing.

Cheers,
aj

       ``Is this some kind of psych test?
                      Am I getting paid for this?''