Updating packages' l10n without risk (~unrelated to previous)

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:10:06AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Christian Perrier wrote:
>
> > And, as Steve pointed out, translation stuff is minimalistically
> > invasive so this does not require an enormous amount of attention
> > after the NMU.
>
> Yes, but there are new libraries that get linked to, new compilers, etc.

It should be possible to get the source, rebuild to needed mo files
(containing the translation in a compiled form), unpack the binary package,
add the mo file and repack the binary package, shoudn't it ?

Of course, you have to bump the package number when doing so,

Of course, this is useless if the maintainer does not integrate the
translation since it has to be done each time.

Of course, this is only possible for the program translations, and not the
translation of material used by debconf (at least I'm less confident) or
others.

I do not plan to do so anytime soon (or later), I merely ask about
feasability.

Proper l10n in debian is a big puzzle, and I don't even know the pieces
yet :)

Thanks, Mt.

--
Finally it's Poland's turn to invade someone else's country.
We have to understand them, as they have been deprived from