Re: stack protection

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Milan P. Stanic wrote:
> There are some of them: vsftpd, pure-ftpd, udhcp, uschedule ... to
> note just some. They are not 100% secure, but they are more secure
> than software written by ISC.

I'm personally only really familiar with ISC's dhcpd3-server, but have
you even read the code written by Ted Lemon? Just randomly slandering
programmers when you are not intimately familiar with their code isn't
something that should be done lightly.

As far as I can remember, the last exploit in dhcpd3-server happened
well over 2 years ago. While I've never heard of an exploit in udhcp,
I'm relatively sure it's not as widely scrutinized as dhcpd3-server.

> [ I don't like to offend Paul Vixie or ISC programmers. They do good
> job in the beginnings of the Internet and probably in these days they
> didn't anticipate how hostile will become network for collaboration,
> sharing ideas and knowledge, extending freedom ... ]

Many of ISC's programs (bind, dhcp) current versions have been
completely rewritten from scratch, or nearly from scratch. The people
who wrote them are quite well aware of the current state of hostile
networks.

> [ BTW, a good measure for security is: don't use ISC software! :-) ]

In many cases, there isn't an alternative for ISC's software. I have
yet to find a dhcp server that is as featureful and robust as ISC's
dhcp server. If you're serving a network of 5 computers, udhcpd might
work for you, but some people use debian to run dhcpd for networks of
thousands of nodes with hundreds of subnets.

Don Armstrong

--
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I
realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu