Re: stack protection

"Milan P. Stanic" <mps@rns-nis.co.yu> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 01:40:28PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Why is it a limit? We are not talking about making any of these
> > mandatory for Debian users. We want to give them a choice of all of
> > the above.
>
> I'm not against choice, I just don't like idea that that stack
> protection and similar code could become "mainstream" one day.

Properly designed the stack protection, array bounds checking and
pointer validating routines can be put into queue slots that would
otherwise go idle on modern cpus. One might even fit it in along with
other instructions and not even blow up the programm size with every
check.

For most programm it realy doesn't hurt and for everything thats
dangerous (suid, servers, other root stuff) making it the default
might be the right[tm] way. Compared to the binaries now you probably
waste as much on the checks as you save if you optimize for your cpu.

MfG
        Goswin