Re: configure --host= breaks libtool ?

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 04:51, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> Im having problems compiling libextractor on at least ia64 and m68k
>
> On those arch's dpkg-buildpackage fails with
>
> libtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
> libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'

libtool hasn't found a compiler capable of producing the cross-compile
you request (yes, you requested a cross-compile).

> In debian rules i am specifying host and build, so on ia64 configure is
> called with.
>
> ./configure --host=ia64-linux --build=ia64-linux  (..other stuff)
>
> If i run "./configure;make" it compiles, but if i run "./configure
> --host=ia64-linux; make" then i get the error.

*sigh* ...

If the configure script was generated with Autoconf 2.5x:

	./configure --build=ia64-linux

or if it was generated with Autoconf 2.13:

	./configure ia64-linux

> I cant see any other differences, anyone have any ideas ?
>
> Its using the latest autotools, including libtool 1.5-1

Install autotools-dev, ensure config.{sub,guess} are up to date from
that package.  Then run ./config.guess to see what triplet you should be
using, and pass that instead.

Then go and read Henrique's excellent
/usr/share/doc/autotools-dev/README.Debian.gz

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?