where to install additional kernel modules?

i see pcmcia-source and comedi-source installing the modules into
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/pcmcia and /lib/modules/`uname -r`/comedi.
my bcm4400-source and bcm5700-source packages install into
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/bcm.

Thinking about it, I argue that it would be better to install them
into /lib/modules/`uname -r`/bcm since
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel is the hierarchy used by the
kernel-image and should not be touched by additional modules that
are not part of the kernel image.

is there a policy item that covers this? what do people think?

`. `'`