ITA freedict

     I sent the following message with the "X-Debbugs-CC:
debian-devel@lists.debian.org" header, but apparently
control@b.d.o. doesn't recognize that header, so I am resending it.

--
tags 206113 +ITA
thanks

     I intend to adopt freedict, which was recently orphaned.

     dict-freedict consists of 42 utf-8 encoded bi-lingual
dictionaries.  In the past dict-freedict has included pre-formatted
dictionaries downloaded from www.freedict.de.  However, these
pre-formatted dictionaries do not work with modern versions of dictd.

     In the dict-* packages that I maintain, I have always formatted
the dictionary as part of the build process.  This presents a problem
for the dict-freedict package, in that a xx_YY.utf-8 locale must be
available on the build machine.  AFAIK there is no way to guarantee
that a specific locale is available on the buildds.  It would be
possible for debian/rules to generate a xx_YY.utf-8 locale, but this
would require rules to run as root, which is not permissible by
policy.

     The simplest approach would be to format the dictionaries on my
machine, and include them in the source package.  This would be
similar to the previous dict-freedict packages.  Would this be
acceptable?

Regards,

Bob

--