Re: Returned Mail

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:33:37PM +1000, Brian May wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 11:51:29AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > That usually contains the original message as attachment so your virus
> > filter should catch and destroy those. :)
>
> Actually I got one such message where amavisd-new/clamav didn't detect
> anything wrong.
>
> LATER: I see why, the MTA doing the bounce quoted the entire message as
> ASCII text, so amavisd didn't realize that it contained a encoded binary
> attachment.
>
> Oh well, I guess the virus wouldn't exactly be able to do much damage in
> this form anyway (even if I did use Outlook)...
>
> Let me see what MTA doesn't support bouncing MIME attachments
> properly... Should have guessed: qmail.

That's not a bug, that's a feature!

I think it's excellent that these bounces don't have the full message,
but show only the first few kB, in a way that breaks the message's MIME
structure well and thoroughly.

After bouncing, at least a virus can't take advantage of the abysmal
Outlook (Express) HTML and MIME handling anymore -- the source of at
least 95% of the world's virus problems.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl