exec-shield (Was: stack protection)

What about exec-shield by Ingo Molnar?
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/exec-shield/
it seems it is less intrusive then other kernel patches and can be
enabled/disabled at run-time

Stripped from annoucement:

The exec-shield feature provides protection against stack, buffer or
function pointer overflows, and against other types of exploits that rely
on overwriting data structures and/or putting code into those structures.
The patch also makes it harder to pass in and execute the so-called
'shell-code' of exploits. The patch works transparently, ie. no
application recompilation is necessary.

[...]
There is a new boot-time kernel command line option called exec-shield=,
which has 4 values. Each value represents a different level of security:

 exec-shield=0    - always-disabled
 exec-shield=1    - default disabled, except binaries that enable it
 exec-shield=2    - default enabled, except binaries that disable it
 exec-shield=3    - always-enabled

the current patch defaults to 'exec-shield=2'. The security level can also
be changed runtime, by writing the level into /proc:

  echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

end;

Maybe Debian could default to exec-shield=1 ?

O.

--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>